Thursday, June 9, 2016

Sgt. B's SOS

This is my take on the Army's SOS.  Have made a few changes and most importantly, it doesn't serve thousands of people. 

I use ground beef or ground chuck, but you can always use ground turkey, ground chicken or sausage.

It's made with my medium white sauce recipe.



1-1/2 lbs. ground meat
2 tbsps. butter
1 cp. chopped onion
1/4 cp. flour or 1/8 cp. corn starch
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 cp. beef stock
salt & pepper to taste
1 cp. milk

1.  Brown meat and drain well.

2. Return to pan and add butter.

3.  Add onions.

4.  Add flour stir until well blended and cook for 2-3 mins.  Slowly add stock; mix well, stirring constantly.

5.  Add garlic powder and Worcestershire Sauce.

6.  Slowly add the milk and stir until thick and heated through.   


COOKS NOTES:
If using corn starch, mix it with the stock - I'm not fond of making a roué with flour.  Seems like you can still taste it, even after cooking it for a few mins.  This would be in Step #4.

I don't use chopped onions, just onion powder.

Add any seasonings you want....I even use a shake of paprika.

Can be served on biscuits, toast or rice.  I sometimes add mushrooms and cheese and serve it over rice for a dinner meal.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Sheila... I'll copy this down for sure! My dad used to use thinly sliced beef lunchmeat - making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every now and then, you can find the actual "chipped" beef, that comes in a small glass jar. Very expensive.

    ReplyDelete