Monday, May 23, 2016

To Fry or Not to Fry, that is the Question......

To Fry or Not to Fry, that is the Question......
……..my answer to that question would be a big NO.  Have never been one for fried foods.  Greasy foods and me just don’t get along.  I do, do the occasional French fries, but not many and not often.  I even gave away my fryer.  Hate the mess frying causes.  Gets all over everything.
With that in mind, most recipes you will get from me will be either, baked, sautéed, poached, steamed or done in the crock pot.
Before I started to poach and steam, I really thought it was going to be bland.  If you have never tried doing either, you are in for a surprise.
Poaching liquid can be just about anything you want it to be.  Stock, beer, wine or even plain water.  Just add the seasonings you like.  Also, it doesn’t take much time to cook your poultry or fish.  I have a steamer, but haven’t used it yet.  When I steam, I do it in the microwave.  Dinner the other night was steamed flounder, with steamed fresh yellow squash and broccoli.
I put a little EVOO and a little butter in the bottom of the steamer.  The fish and veggies were on the tray, seasoned and steamed for about 5 minutes.  Fast, easy, healthy and quick clean-up. Microwave steamers are fairly inexpensive.

The picture is tilapia and shrimp.  The lemon butter made a nice sauce to pour over the fish.
Would like to know if any readers have a favorite poaching liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment